In 1937 under the authority of New York State’s Town Law statutes (TWN Article 11) the Clinton Town Board created the East Clinton Fire District.
The East Clinton Fire District is a political subdivision of the State. A Board of five Fire Commissioners governs the District. Residents of the Fire District elect Fire Commissioners. Each Commissioner is elected to a five-year term. Certain situations may occur where the Board can appoint an individual to fill a vacated position. Fire District Elections are held on the second Tuesday of December each year. One Commissioner is elected each year so that there will always be experienced Commissioners on the Board. The Fire District has a myriad of statutory responsibilities including the levying of taxes for the purpose of providing fire protection for the residents of the District. The Fire District budget is used to provide the (east) Clinton Volunteer Fire Department the funding necessary for equipment, apparatus, training, day-to-day operations, maintenance and repair of District facilities, amongst other specialty matters.
The Clinton Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1931. In those early days, the Department raised the funds to buy their first truck and pay the rent on the garage, which is still in the village. In 1935 the Department, considering the geographic location of Clinton Corners, extended their coverage 4 miles into the neighboring Towns.
The East Clinton Volunteer Fire Department is an non-profit community based service, staffed by a 100% volunteer work force. It is comprised of local men and women, who are selflessly dedicated to the welfare and safety of the community, by responding to both fire and medical emergency calls. The East Clinton Volunteer Fire Department covers an approximate 60 mile area, including parts of the Taconic State Parkway. Approximately 60% of all calls are within a 2 mile radius of the firehouse.